manastir Dobrun

Visit the 14th century Dobrun Monastery

Dobrun Monastery, also known by the name Kruševo, is located in Bosnia and Herzegovina, 12 km away from town of Višegrad, in the gorge of the Rzav river near the border with Republic of Serbia. Dobrun Monastery is dedicated to the Dormition of the Virgin and was built in 1343 by Duke Pribil and his sons Stefan and Petar.

There are no reliable data regarding the establishment and the history of the monastery. It is known that it was the center of Metropolitan for a while. In its history the monastery was destroyed and reconstructed many times. The worst destruction took place during the Second World War, when Germans used it as a weapons warehouse, and set it to explode during their withdrawal in 1945. The monastery was reconstructed in 1946. It was painted with many frescoes. The most known frescoes preserved until present day are those of Tsar Dušan with his wife Jelena and son Uroš, as well as the fresco of the monastery founder zupan Pribil along with his sons and son in law Stan. In the rocks above the monastery there is a cave whose entrance area was closed with stone blocks. The monks lived there and would descend down to the monastery only during the big religious holidays. The monastery is still active these days. Within the complex of monastery there is a Museum of the First Serbian Upraise, The Paintings Gallery and a Museum of Dabro Bosnian Diocese of the Metropolitan.

Remains of the Dobrun Medieval fort lie high on the steep mountain sides above the both river sides and close to the gorge entrance which as the natural border divides the Vardiste and Mokra Gora from Podrinje region. The Medieval Fortification is at close proximity to Dobrun Monastery, located on 150 meters high rock. The Medieval of Dobrun fort was once the most significatn Medieval settlement of the region, known from the 15th century. The fort contained the Dukes residence and three guard-towers. It was a seat of the religious and the civil authorities for this region. According to the epic and legend, the Dobrun fortification has been built around 1440 by the „accursed Jerina”, the wife of the Serbian Despot Đurađ Branković, what is not historically confirmed. In the Middle Ages the town encompassed the Lower Town where the merchants from Dubrovnik stayed. Until the present time only remnants of towers have been preserved, that are visible from the road.